[ubuntu-uk] Mac Frustration (was Remote support was Sad but true? etc.)

Ian Betteridge ian at ianbetteridge.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 10:16:13 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:

> Means that when folks ask me about switching to Macs, which people
> seem to increasingly do, I am rather jaded.  I accept their positives
> but I also am befuddled as to why they seem to have created for their
> converts such a steep learning curve, forcing them to throw out
> everything they are used to and buy into a completely different
> regime.

Because "everything you used to know is wrong" :)

Like all modern desktop OS's, the Mac is a mixture of things old, new,
borrowed and blue. For example, if you were designing a new computer
today, for an audience which had grown up with PC keyboards, getting
rid of the ctrl key makes no sense - people are used to it.

But back in the early 80's, most people hadn't used a computer, or
even seen one. In fact, most people didn't even use keyboards daily.
They maybe used a typepwriter, and that only had a shift key on it.