[ubuntu-uk] Remote support was Sad but true? From the Register

Simon Wears munkyjunky at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 16 01:48:03 GMT 2009

Usually I am wary of tempting people to switch, but since it's my mum I know
Ubuntu will do exactly what she needs without any hiccups (well, non I can
think of) since all she does is type up work things, and check her emails /
look for holidays online. And I have to do all the technical work at home
anyway, her switching would just mean I can actually say 'just type this and
hit enter' rather than try remember how to do everything on Windows.

2009/1/16 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Simon Wears <munkyjunky at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > possibly. Unfortunately, she isn't running Ubuntu yet, but eventually
> I'll
> > get her to switch. I'm just waiting for Windows to kill itself (again)
> then
> > I can put Ubuntu on it for a week, and she can decide if she wants to
> > switch.
>
> I've found that doing something like that is a poison chalice...
> whereas if somebody has Windows they go to their mates for help, if
> you give them Ubuntu or any other Linux they always assume you are on
> call 24x7 to help them with the most mundane of problems, which (in
> most cases) they could have worked out for themselves had they
> bothered to move their brain out of first gear.
>
> Just be wary.  It's always easier for somebody to call you for an
> answer than to figure it out for themselves, or at least that seems to
> be my experience, and I simply don't have the time to be a helpdesk as
> well as a programmer.
>
> Sean

Simon Wears

MunkyJunky at Gmail.com | http://MunkyJunky.com
Manchester Metropolitan University Computing Student