[ubuntu-uk] Remote support was Sad but true? From the Register

Simon Wears munkyjunky at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 16 01:25:30 GMT 2009

My family run Windows XP. I'll have a look into that, thank you for the
link! Setting it up wouldn't be too difficult, my mum gets how to use a
computer and is fairly good at fixing them with simple things, this is more
for the advanced stuff that explaining to her just makes her utterly
confused.

I recently got myself an iPhone, so I could attempt to use it as a 3G modem,
possibly. Unfortunately, she isn't running Ubuntu yet, but eventually I'll
get her to switch. I'm just waiting for Windows to kill itself (again) then
I can put Ubuntu on it for a week, and she can decide if she wants to
switch.

2009/1/15 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>

> On 15/01/2009 21:02, Simon Wears wrote:
> > The annoying thing is, I can't seem to do that! I live in halls at
> > university, and I thought I'd try something like that to help fix my
> > mums pc back home, so I tried a few things (Gitso is the only one
> > who's name I remember) and non of them work, due to not being able to
> > use many ports on the halls internet. Which just goes go show,
> > Manchester Met uni admins are no fun :(
> Is your mum's PC running on Ubuntu or Windows?
>
> If she's running Windows (or MacOS X) you might get away with Logmein
> (www.logmein.com) which is a free remote control application.  It
> connects through the Logmein servers and has a nice easy to use web
> interface.  I've just fixed my dad's internet connection remotely using
> it.  Luckily because he had a Three mobile broadband modem I was able to
> connect into his desktop using that.
>
> The only issue I found was deploying the application to remote
> computers.  There is a free trial where you can get it to send someone
> an e-mail and they click on the link and it automatically installs the
> application, otherwise you can download an installer and then e-mail it
> over to a remote user and talk them through installing it over the phone.
>
> Other than that, if it's an Ubuntu desktop, could you try getting her
> router to forward port 80 or 443 on the router to port 22 on her machine
> and install OpenSSH?  You could then possibly setup a tunnel to her
> machine.  Hopefully the uni would just think it's web server it's
> connecting to.
>
> Or your final option would probably be to pick up a Pay As You Go mobile
> broadband modem on something like T-Mobile or O2 where you pay per day
> (might work out cheaper if you don't use it much).
>
> HTH
>
> Rob

Simon Wears

MunkyJunky at Gmail.com | http://MunkyJunky.com
Manchester Metropolitan University Computing Student