[ubuntu-uk] Sad but true? From the Register

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Jan 15 19:13:45 GMT 2009

Yishay Mor wrote:
> http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184
> "MCFARLAND (WKOW) -- Abbie Schubert paid more than $1,100 for a Dell laptop
> hoping to enroll in online classes at MATC.
> But something stopped her: Ubuntu."
>
> No WKOW, something else stopped her. But that's no excuse, computers should
> work for dumb people too, and everyone deserves to know what they're buying.
> It doesn't matter that we all know that FF is better than IE, for some
> people internet=IE, and office=M$. Dell need to explain the concept of
> compatible slowly, probably using shorter words.

When I look at dell site for Ubuntu it is very clear that it is not
windows and that 'normal' programs will not work.
It is even really really difficult to find dell ubuntu from the normal
dell site, and even once you see ubuntu on the screen, you keep
finding vista in your basket! Try it a few times in differing routes
yourself?

Dell say:
===============================
What Is Open Source?
Open source software is designed in a way that lets multiple people
change, improve and redistribute the source code, meaning the software
is generally community developed and available for free.
An advantage of open source is that it can deliver more reliability
and flexibility, as well as faster updates and fixes, all at a lower
cost. Plus, if you’re an expert, you can tweak and alter the code to
completely customise the software to do exactly what you want.

A downside is that some open source software requires intermediate or
advanced knowledge to use, and in the case of operating systems, may
not be compatible with the same software applications and hardware as
Windows operating systems.

Are these words short enough?

I do *not* believe this is a genuine case. Someone who is clever
enough to play the system to the ISP and to the college, in this way,
and not to mention play the FUD onto the internet, is simply not going
to be buying such a non standard machine by accident.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391