[ubuntu-uk] Sad but true? From the Register

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Thu Jan 15 17:47:04 GMT 2009

Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/1/15 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
>
>> When I read the article, I wondered *why* she couldn't access the web
>> site. Two possible reasons spring to mind:
>>
>> [1] She's using some kind of USB Internet connection that doesn't work
>> [2] It's a completely Flash-driven site, when Ubuntu doesn't include
>>

> [3] She read the manual which said "insert the cd" first before
> plugging in the router - not remotely uncommon.
>
> If someone expects a piece of hardware to work using an install CD
> from a manufacturer, who is to blame _really_? Dell for not educating
> her? Ubuntu for not educating her? The manufacturer for not shipping
> an autorunning Ubuntu-compatible CD? Or is it her own fault for not
> contacting _someone_ for support, but plugging away at it? Who knows.
>

>> Either way, this is a problem in Ubuntu, if the woman can't get a
>> connection easily.
>>

> Debateable. It's a problem that manifests itself when a new user to
> Ubuntu tries to get up and running, not sure if it's a problem with
> Ubuntu itself per-se.
>

>> Flash. This is a political decision - I've been debating it recently
>> on Ubuntu-sounder, in fact. The sad reality is that because of the
>> Ubuntu project's determination to ship only Free software, excluding
>> drivers, when Ubuntu comes out of the box, it's crippled.
>>

> So is Windows. I installed Windows 7 the other day and do you know
> what! There was:-
>
> * No office software
> * No pdf viewer
> * No graphics editor
>
> Etc.
>

>> No Java is a
>> minor problem, no RealPlayer or QuickTime or WindowsMedia is a bigger
>> one, no MP3 support is a big issue, but no Flash is absolutely huge.
>>

> It's been explained to you why we don't ship flash on the sounder
> list. I don't think we need to have that whole debate all over again.
>

>> This is again a problem with Ubuntu, but it's a deliberately-chosen
>> one, and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it.
>>

> Gnash, swfdec. Try them out.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

On 8.10 if I go to firefox I get a nice search screen (google) page,
that has a link to help.ubuntu.com (external website)

this is great, but it assumes the computer has a working internet
connection.

perhaps what is needed is an application called something like lug
finder or support finder, this would then give a search able database,
of linux user groups but stored on cd. so new get it when they install
or they can get it from running the live cd. Users can then find a local
lug easily.

It may help new users and existing users find local support.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net