[ubuntu-uk] Sad but true? From the Register

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:29:00 GMT 2009

2009/1/15 Chris Coulson <chrisccoulson at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/1/15 Ken Robson <ken at robsonfamily.co.uk>
>>
>> US woman says Ubuntu can't access internet
>>
>> Check out (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/15/ubuntu_cant_access_net
>> If the above link doesn't work)
>>
>> Interesting quote 'WKOW TV called Ubuntu "an operating system for your
>> computer similar to Windows that runs off the Linux system."'
>
> I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

Why would you do either? Perfectly fair, accurate and reasonable
description by and for someone who is not a techie. No, it's not
elegantly worded, but they have got the gist.

When I read the article, I wondered *why* she couldn't access the web
site. Two possible reasons spring to mind:

[1] She's using some kind of USB Internet connection that doesn't work
out of the box. (USB because either Ethernet or wireless should work
fine.) Could be a USB cable modem or ADSL modem, either of which would
be Hard Work to set up, or it could be something like a 3G "dongle"
(though those are rare in the USA) or a WiMax adaptor.

Either way, this is a problem in Ubuntu, if the woman can't get a
connection easily.

[2] It's a completely Flash-driven site, when Ubuntu doesn't include
Flash. This is a political decision - I've been debating it recently
on Ubuntu-sounder, in fact. The sad reality is that because of the
Ubuntu project's determination to ship only Free software, excluding
drivers, when Ubuntu comes out of the box, it's crippled. No Java is a
minor problem, no RealPlayer or QuickTime or WindowsMedia is a bigger
one, no MP3 support is a big issue, but no Flash is absolutely huge. A
great many websites are completely inaccessible because they are
entirely Flash-driven.

This is again a problem with Ubuntu, but it's a deliberately-chosen
one, and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it.

-----

But whatever the issue was, by just making unhelpful mocking comments,
you're not contributing. As the saying goes, if you're not part of the
solution, you're part of the problem...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508