[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Heads up Article WhatPC - Ubuntu Revolutiion

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 14:32:42 GMT 2009

On 14/01/2009 14:04, Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> alan c wrote:
> | WhatPC have a good article titled
> | 'Join the Linux Revolution'.
> [snip]
> |
> http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2233831/join-linux-revolution-4257166
>
> It looks like it might have originated from PCW magazine going by that
> url. If that's the case then their 'intended audience' seems to be
> 'business' with a heavy Microsoft focus in a lot of the articles. The
> articles do seem a bit dumbed down in places, I think they're just
> trying to reach as wide a demographic as possible.
>
> Something like a couple of years ago they introduced a 'Hands on Linux'
> column and the guy that writes that seems to have use cases that are
> Ubuntu oriented more than any other distro.
>
> So things are definitely moving in the right direction in the media in
> my opinion.

I'd agree.  I noticed that WH Smiths are now (or were before xmas)
selling a Computer Active special on using Linux.  If Computer Active
are now doing articles on Linux and how to switch then that has to be a
good thing.  I would imagine that once the readers of magazines such as
Computer Active start to make the switch (say someone who has an
interest in computers but might not be overly technically minded) then
that has to be a good thing.  From their these new users of Ubuntu can
start to tell their friends about this great free operating system.

That reminds me, I must order a load of Ubuntu discs to leave at one of
my clients offices (a local radio station).

Rob