[ubuntu-uk] skype advise please

Graham Binns graham at grahambinns.com
Wed Jan 14 10:50:54 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>:
> Can anyone say what the difference is, in terms of what is in Windows,
> between a paid skype and a free skype? In particular how to migrate
> across?

There's no difference. He doesn't need to migrate, just log in on
Linux; everything useful is held online by Skype.

> Am I correct in thinking that the financial total - credit or whatever
> - is probably held online by Skype? I can guess that on the Windows PC
> there will be such things as contacts, but I do not know enough about
> skype to know if contacts is also held online.

Right. There shouldn't be anything to migrate. For example, I use
Skype from my mobile. Just by logging in I have access to all my Skype
contacts and can make SkypeOut calls to the people in my phone's
address book. Skype's servers hold all the juicy stuff.

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: 4DAD18FA