[ubuntu-uk] Kernal panic

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:16:56 GMT 2009

2009/1/13 Simon Wears <munkyjunky at googlemail.com>

> Was just on my computer running Ibex, when gnome vanished, and the
> keyboard lights started blinking. After a reboot, Linux tried to load
> and said Kernel Panic, and now when it boots the machine resets after
>
> Help?
>
> Cheers, Simon

That is unfortunate. If this was the first panic on a machine that is
otherwise normally stable, and it has now started to panic on every boot for
no apparent reason (ie, you haven't installed a new kernel or changed any
hardware in the last day or so), then this is a good indication that you've
developed a hardware problem. If you have upgraded the kernel in the last
day or so, try booting an older kernel. Also, if you haven changed any
hardware (including removale devices connected to the USB ports), then try
reverting the changes. Does it panic from the live CD? If not, are there in
suspicious messages in your dmesg from the live CD environment. What is the
panic message you see? If it is something like "Kernel panic - machine
check", then you've almost certainly got a hardware fault.

Regards
Chris