[ubuntu-uk] Backing Up Ubuntu

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jan 7 18:07:26 GMT 2009

2009/1/7 Jai Harrison <jai at jaiharrison.com>:
> There's a small problem with that. Namely that my external HDD is
> often not connected to my laptop so automated (as oppose to manual)
> backups will most likely fail. Is there something similar but based
> around manual backups? Also, do tarballs preserve permissions were I
> ever to need to restore it?

So just remove the cron job from /etc/cron.daily and run it manually
as and when you like, and let it do a full backup each time?

Alternatively you could add a line to /etc/cron.daily/backup-manager

test -f /media/disk/some_file_only_on_usb_disk || exit 0

So it only backs up if the usb disk is attached (and that file exists on it).

It's very flexible. Take a look at the conf file which contains lots
of comments about what the options do. Worth a look.

Cheers,
Al.