[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu for the Eee

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Sat Jan 3 13:18:42 GMT 2009

On 03/01/2009, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the best Ubuntu remix for the Eee? Eeebuntu, Ubuntu-Eee, something
> else?

I'll second (third?) Ubuntu-Eee ( www.ubuntu-eee.com ) which I'm using
from my Eee 901 right now. It is based on Ubuntu 8.04 so  is supported
for at le ast the next two years. It is imminently to be rebranded
Easy Peasy and the next release will be based on 8.10. I'll stick with
Ubuntu-Eee 8.04 as I prefer the longer LTS release cycle.

Ubuntu-Eee/Easy Peasy has a number of advantages over the stock Ubuntu
8.04, notably boot-up time and built-in SD/Flash boot formatter for
install.

There are a few points where I've chosen to differ, though:

* I prefer eee-control to eeepc-config . eee-control supports
eee-control-tray which allows easy access to turn wifi, bluetooth,
card reader on/off to save battery, and also to change the CPU profile
again to save battery. eee-control and eee-control-tray are both
available from the repositories which are configured by default in
Ubuntu-Eee.

* I prefer blueman and gnome-ppp to control bluetooth and GPRS/3G over
bluetooth phones. Gnome-PPP is in the standard Ubuntu repo. Blueman is
at http://blueman.tuxfamily.org/ and they provide a repo for Ubuntu
8.04 .

* I prefer to mount everything on the SDA SSD, and then have /home2 on
SDB with symlinks from /home/user directories as required. SDA is a
much f aster flash card and things work faster if you have all your
.preferences folders on SDA.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com