[ubuntu-uk] UK government backs open source

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:56:12 GMT 2009

Those of you who have met me on this list know what I do for a living,
so one must be careful what one says, but just bear in mind that a)
many people who should be well-briefed are not (for example, I didn't
know about this week's visit and given where I sit I should have known
- unless of course discussion of opensource just popped up, which
frankly happens at these kinds of events) and b) lots of people with
'purchasing power' so to speak can only handle what they are familiar
with, and are frankly scared and confused by the new and the
unfamiliar. You must also appreciate given the size and complexity of
some Government systems (but by no means all) the cost of implementing
an opensource solution to replace an existing system would be
prohibitively expensive, at least in the short term, and thats just
the cost of implementation, never mind what might happen if an
existing Contract was broken, and Government's not about spending big
bucks on the back-office right now, for obvious reasons.

Just my 2p

Pete

--
'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997