[ubuntu-uk] HELP: How to install the Ubuntu in one of the existing partition in a hard disk?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 03:08:45 GMT 2009

2009/2/26 rizzuwan wahid <rizzuwan at yahoo.com>:
> I've a hard disk that consist of two partitions, that known as c and d, and
> I want to install a Ubuntu in one of the existing partition while not
> erasing the other partition.
> What I've counter is, when i want to install it, either it will erase all
> partition and then install it or it will create another partition.
> So how i want to install the Ubuntu in the existing partition either in c or
> d without erasing the other partition or create new partition....?
>
> RIZZUWAN

The easiest way is probably to do the first step in Windows.

So, in Windows, move everything you want to keep off D onto C or
something. Then run Disk Manager (assuming you're using XP) - Start |
Run | diskmgmt.msc

Select the D drive - and make very very sure that it *IS* the D drive,
not the C drive - and delete it. Save the changes and reboot. Check
that Windows still boots and runs off C. So long as it's OK, reboot
with your Ubuntu CD and get it to use the free space.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat, Yahoo & Skype: liamproven
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508