[ubuntu-uk] 3D OpenGL screensaver (or running Picassa screensaver on Gnome)

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 16:58:24 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

A client of mine (a radio station) has got a PC attached to a plasma TV
which goes through a collection of pictures of events that they have
been to.  At the moment they are using the basic pictures screensaver
which just works apart from the fact it doesn't have any fancy effects.
Now the programme controller is really into anything and everything
Google (Chrome, Picassa, etc) and he's asked if it's possible to setup
some fancy transitions between the pictures (the Google Screensaver
zooms in and fades nicely between the pictures).  I just wondered if
anyone know if there was anything for Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) that did the same?

If not, does anyone know how to get the xscreensavers working instead of
the built in Gnome screen savers (I see there is an OpenGL pictures
screensaver built in), or if it's possible to tell the Gnome Screensaver
to run a script as a screensaver (from what I gather this is the only
way apart from using the xscreensaver to get the Picassa screensaver
with OpenGL working on Ubuntu).

Rob