[ubuntu-uk] Setting JDK 6 as default Java alternative on Ubuntu

Jason Liquorish jason at dropshock.com
Mon Feb 23 12:56:43 GMT 2009

doug livesey wrote:
> Hi -- as part of trying to get OpenLaszlo to work on my Ubuntu machine,
> I need to set it up so that the default version of Java it is running is
> a JDK (preferably 6).
> I've found tuts that tell me how to select from the java alternatives on
> my machine, but I've no idea how to add the JDKs I've installed through
> Synaptic to this list of alternatives.
> I'll also need the JDK to install the latest version of Freemind & other
> Java apps from source.
> Can anyone advise me on how this is done?
> Cheers,
>    Doug.

Hi Doug,

I usually follow the guide on the Ubuntu wiki
here:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java to get java installed on any
new installs. I also use the jdk to develop java for college and I just
follow the steps on the wiki page above then install the sun-java6-sdk
package.

Doing that works fine for me and I think the runtime and development
packages are just separate for ease of use.

Thanks
--
Jason Liquorish - <jason at dropshock.com>