[ubuntu-uk] Time for a new graphics card?

Jacob Williams jacobw.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:54:39 GMT 2009

I've also encountered the aforementioned issues on both nVidia and on Intel
graphics cards. Though, in my ezxperience the dwesktop is more functional
without whiz bang effects.

On 20 Feb 2009, 10:05 AM, "Rob Beard" <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

On 19/02/2009 15:26, Paul Sutton wrote: > I have a geforce 4, I can run
compiz but loose the text on...
I found that on my recent laptop with Intel integrated graphics the
Compiz effects still don't run that well, in the end I'm not fussed
about eye candy and simply turn it off.  I'm too busy to worry about
wobbly windows ;-)

Dianne, do you know if your video card is AGP, PCI or PCI-Express?

My old desktop had an ATI Radeon 9250 in it and it ran perfectly with
Compiz.  That was an AGP card and I dare say you'd be able to get one
off eBay for less than a tenner, plus it uses open source drivers.

Rob

ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com