[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1, BT HomeHub

Simos simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 15:05:01 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Rowan <rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com> wrote:
> That's interesting, Simos, but the Hub has recognised and connected
> quite normally (via Ethernet) the Windows machine I am using now, since
> its last hard reset. However, in any case, please tell me where can I
> find the 'special steps'? To judge by the results from the Terminal that
> I posted just now, my problem is in the computer.

Since you can connect with another computer successfully, then there
is no need to perform a firmware update. You can google for 'homehub firmware
update' if you want to read more about this. If you google for
'homehub firmware tftp',
you can find Linux-specific instructions.

When troubleshooting such issues, it is important to have diagnostic tools.
I am not sure if this mailing list is suitable to go into that much detail.
You may want to try ubuntuforums.org, or the #ubuntu IRC channel on
FreeNode (google for 'freenode ubuntu').
If I were in your case, I would run a Terminal command (open Terminal
from Applications/Accessories):

sudo tcpdump -n -s 1500 -i eth0

This should show any network traffic that goes through your network
card. Each line is a packet.
You should be able to deduce the requests of your computer to obtain
an IP address,
and the reply (if any) from the HH with an IP address.

Another issue to mention is which distribution version you have, and
the type of network card (use 'lspci').
You may have an exotic Ethernet card.

It is quite weird you have these issues. When you have a proper
vanilla installation of Ubuntu,
you should not get these issues.

Simos