[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1, BT HomeHub

Simos simos.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:22:40 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Rowan <rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The engineers at LinuxCertified just drew my attention to this:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkAdmin
> which is the relevant section of the official online Ubuntu manual, of
> which I had until now not been informed, so I guess I will find my
> solutions there.

The HomeHub (Speedtouch) has this feature that when you reset the
settings (you keep pressed the button on the router for >15 seconds),
the device enters a special state that it tries to find a firmware
update. During this state, the DHCP server on the HH is not working.
In some cases, the HH is locked into this state, and you cannot use it
unless to perform a firmware update.
This looks to me the most plausible reason for your troubles. If the
HH was working properly, any computer should just connect by plugging
the ethernet cable.
If this is your case, then there is a special set of steps to solve the problem.

Simos