[ubuntu-uk] KVM switch - suggestions?

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 19:44:19 GMT 2009

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> I use the Zonet KVM3004, 14 quid including 4 sets of cables:
> http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=LE-KV4KIT
>
> It's old-school VGA and PS/2 connectors. It works well with a PS2->USB
> convertor and copes well with resolutions up to 1280x1024 @ 75Hz.

Just in case anyone's interested...

Eclipse Computers delivered the Zonet switch and a couple of PS2>USB
converters today - only a day after I'd ordered them, even though I'd
opted for 3-5 day delivery.  Pretty impressive.  The switch works well
with my Ubuntu and Debian boxes that have PS2 sockets, using a PS2
keyboard and a USB>PS2 converter on my Logitech Trackman.  And as you
say, Andrew, at £13.74 (inc 15% VAT) for a four-port switch and four
2-metre VGA+Mouse+keyboard cable sets this an amazing deal.

My newer, USB-only Dell 5150 (Hardy) was less happy trying to deal with
a USB mouse connected to the switch by means of a USB>PS2 converter as
well as having a PS2>USB connector at the other end of the cable.  (It
seemed to think the signals coming from the mouse were characters being
typed on a keyboard.)  I guess I could fix this eventually, but I don't
really need to just now -- so I've left this box attached to its own
monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Great recommendation, Andrew.  Thanks again.

Mac