[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1, BT HomeHub

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Wed Feb 18 17:39:39 GMT 2009


Haha, Have you checked that your laptop is plugged in and turned on :)

There is very little reason why you should configure your network
interface before attempting to connect it. I imagine (and would be
disgusted if it didn't) that the BT box runs DHCP and therefore your
laptop should auto connect. Additionally, if you use manual
configuration and get anything wrong, then it wont work so its better to
use auto while trying to figure it out. Once everything is working, you
can then go to manual configuration.

With regards to point 5, this will simply identify that fact that linux
has detected the hardware and is prepared to use it. If you do get
output then we are off to a good start.

Point 6 will print out the current network configuration (to some extent
the status). If you are using DHCP and you see a line something like
eth0 .... 
"inet addr:192.168.1.11  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0" 
then you know that the network auto-configuration has succeeded, and the
problem might be related to DNS or something. If not, then there is no
TCP/IP connection established.

However if you have configured your network with a static IP address, it
will show these details regardless of TCP/IP state (which again makes it
more difficult to diagnose a problem).




On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 17:13 +0000, Rowan wrote:
> Your suggestions 5 and 6 are at least non-trivial. But, can I do all 
> this configuring of the Ethernet port BEFORE connecting it to the Hub? I 
> have two reasons for preferring this: one, I imagine it is better set-up 
> procedure in general, to configure ports in advance before connecting 
> them (if they are not self-configuring), and two, this Home Hub is 
> exceedingly prone to mental indigestion, requiring from time to time a 
> hard reset to factory condition, and a wait of an hour or more to 
> stabilise itself.
> 
> I would consider switching to a Linux-friendly ISP, which would provide 
> a Linux-friendly router, if there is such a thing.
> 
> As to the ports it has, this is the spec.:
> http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-notebook-lc2430s.html
> and, as you can see, it has one RJ-45 Ethernet port and 3 USB 2.0 ports.
> 
> Michael Holloway wrote:
> > Rowan, I think we are all confused that it didn't "just work" as this
> > concept is a bit alien to us :-)
> >
> > Lets start from the beginning.
> >
> > 1. Are the lights on the ethernet ports on both the computer and the BT
> > box green/orange flashing etc ?
> >
> > 2. You say you have "a multitude" of ports. How many Ethernet ports?
> > (Setting up USB is likely to be more difficult).
> >
> > 3. Is the ethernet cable you have a normal CAT 5e cable? (I think there
> > is a different type of cable with the same plug used for ADSL cable or
> > soemthing). 
> >
> > 4. Have you tried using a different network cable?
> >
> > 5. In the terminal, ("Applications->Accessories->Terminal"), can you
> > type "sudo lshw | grep eth" (and enter your password). If there is no
> > output then we can assume there is a driver problem. Otherwise it should
> > list any ethernet ports.
> >  
> > 6. If you go to the terminal and type "ifconfig" what is the output?
> >
> > ... and then we can take it from there.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
> >
> >
> >
> > On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 16:43 +0000, Rowan wrote:
> >   
> >> I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I made it clear in my first post 
> >> that it didn't just work out of the box like that. You all seem to 
> >> assume I haven't even attempted to configure it, but if you read my 
> >> first message, I state that I have attempted to connect in the 
> >> straighforward way already, and also attempted to use the Network  
> >> Connections panel in the computer (which presumably follows a familiar 
> >> Ubuntu layout) but I see no Ethernet option there.
> >>     
> >
> >
> >
> >   
> 
> 




More information about the ubuntu-uk mailing list