[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1, BT HomeHub

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:13:30 GMT 2009

Your suggestions 5 and 6 are at least non-trivial. But, can I do all
this configuring of the Ethernet port BEFORE connecting it to the Hub? I
have two reasons for preferring this: one, I imagine it is better set-up
procedure in general, to configure ports in advance before connecting
them (if they are not self-configuring), and two, this Home Hub is
exceedingly prone to mental indigestion, requiring from time to time a
hard reset to factory condition, and a wait of an hour or more to
stabilise itself.

I would consider switching to a Linux-friendly ISP, which would provide
a Linux-friendly router, if there is such a thing.

As to the ports it has, this is the spec.:
http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-notebook-lc2430s.html
and, as you can see, it has one RJ-45 Ethernet port and 3 USB 2.0 ports.