[ubuntu-uk] KVM switch - suggestions?

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 19:47:16 GMT 2009

I've been using a Belkin Flip usb KVM switch to share keyboard, monitor
and mouse between my main Ubuntu box and a second box (sometimes it's
one running Ubuntu, sometimes one running Debian).

Since upgrading my Ubuntu systems to Hardy, I've had problems with this
set up, as the screen resolution is not detected properly through the
KVM switch.  This has got worse recently, and I'm beginning to suspect
that the KVM switch is failing.  (I get the same issues with a
completely different monitor.)

Do any of you good folks use a decent KVM switch that works well with
Ubuntu/Debian systems?  If so, I'd be grateful for enough detail about
make and model to enable ordering.

I appreciate that the Belkin switch is a fairly cheap one;  would I get
better results with something a bit more expensive?

TIA

Mac