[ubuntu-uk] Custom Ubuntu for a USB key

Simon Wears munkyjunky at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 22:22:04 GMT 2009

Ever since 8.10 was released, I've carried with me a copy of Intrepid on my
1Gb USB key, since it's bundled along with my flat keys. I was wondering
about making the install a little more customised - at the moment it's just
the standard live CD on a USB, but I'd like to make something that may load
a little quicker, and has only the applications I need on - which is just
about firefox, pidgin, gedit and maybe VLC at a push.

How would I go about doing this? My current best guess is one of those
remastering-type of applications, for respinning a LiveCD. That terminology
is probably not the best possible to use, but I hope you get the gist of
what I mean. I'm thinking about maybe making it a peristant install, so I
can save files too (or a least some settings for pidgin and firefox).

It's mainly so I can borrow peoples laptops/desktops, without having to have
them load me onto their desktop. Just boot from USB and have a portable
desktop with me where ever I am.

Cheers,
--
Simon Wears