[ubuntu-uk] How to write a Linux virus in 5 easy steps?

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Wed Feb 11 12:24:40 GMT 2009

> I hope it is /not/ MD5, which has been 'cracked' for a while now ;)
>
> http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/md5collision/
>
> In principle however, your idea would work well in practice. It's even
> quite possible to do today.
>
> I would like to see SELinux/AppArmour taken that little bit further
> too. I still refuse to run anti-virus on Linux, I *don't* need it :)
>
> Matthew.

Okay so maybe not MD5, but the theory :)

AppArmor kept me up till 4am in a hotel in Switzerland during an
emergency a few years ago before I knew it existed. For that reason I
have a personal grudge :) However I definitely agree that more work on
it (extending the app profiles, and possibly pushing to a 2 level, root
+user with frontend) would be valuable!