[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 46, Issue 13 ###buntu on Acer Aspire One

Duncan Collins duncancollins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 14:45:34 GMT 2009

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:12:30 +0000
From: Dean Sas <dean at deansas.org>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Buying a Acer Notebook.....
To: British Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 13:23, John <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:
> I got my little netbook, but I managed to find one in Curries instead,
> slightly different specs, but the same as the one I mentioned. Acer
Aspire.

> If I install Ubuntu eee, via the stick, is it an easy install, and will it
> install over the software I have already, or will it install in a
partition?
> I did have a look at the 8.10 installation, but I wouldnt have a clue
about
> having to tweak, I didnt understand that, so I would be happy for the
> moment, with 8.04, and I can start getting used to that.

Ubuntu will install in a partition. Or you can delete all of the
current partitions and use the whole drive for Ubuntu (you can do this
in the Ubuntu installer). The eee pc comes with a restore disc that
will set up the partitions as they were out of the box, I'd assume
Acers recovery disk will too, but you may wish to check this for
additional peace of mind.

You can also just keep booting from the stick (though performance will
be slower and I don't think you can install new packages), it's good
to get a taster though.

How come you're installing ubuntu eee? I believe it has a customised
kernel which may not be the best possible for someone with an acer
(though I don't know anything about the acer so could be wrong). You
can get the ubuntu netbook interface by installing standard ubuntu and
then installing the ubuntu-netbook-* packages.

If you haven't yet read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick you
may like to.

Dean

Dean, John,

Am a bit behind hand reading these as due to a few flakes of snow lots of my
IT colleagues seemed to have to stay in bed!, luckily they've just
authorised me to claim some overtime.
I have an Acer Aspire One and have installed both vanilla Ubuntu and
Eeebuntu on it.
Ubuntu took some configuring of the wireless & then I had an issue I
couldn't resolve when I plugged it into my LCD TV to play films.
It detected the 2 screens, but then did bizarre configuring of 2 workspaces
eg VLC would minimize in one and maximize in the other
and one would only display part of the screen.
In end I gave up and installed Eeebuntu using a USB DVD drive.

http://www.eeebuntu.org/index.php?page=standard

It configured everything fine including wireless during install & it works
fine with my TV.
Personally I would install this version - the hardware in the original EEEPc
is very similar to that of the Aspire One and the kernel is optimsed.

Regards

Duncan