[ubuntu-uk] Help get Windows out of schools

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 13:22:22 GMT 2009

On 10/02/2009 12:39, Lucy wrote:
> It's saying 'primary operating system' not only operating system.
> Also, there's more than one FOSS OS (and even more UIs).
>
> By getting FOSS into schools you are getting rid of the current
> monopoly, you are telling the kids that it's okay to learn about the
> systems, that it's okay to share interesting programs with friends or
> to take a copy home to finish up some homework. You're enabling them
> to reuse old PCs. You're showing them that they can be a part of a
> global community and that they have the power and opportunity to
> collaborate with others to make things better.

I think part of the general problem that that a lot of people think that
sharing software is wrong as it's been drummed into them for so long.
At least the community are slowly getting the message through, even if
it is only to a minory of people.  I found that the Exwick Community
Centre open day was a great place to talk to people about Free
Software.  The visitors could see the software running, they could see
that it's not all scary command lines (although one guy did like the
command line as he was an ex-COBOL programmer and was used to the old
dumb terminals) and they could take away a disc for free to try and
home.  They were pre-pressed Ubuntu 8.04 CDs so they looked like they
were legitimate an IIRC they said on the disc that they were free to use
and pass on.  Slowly we were getting the message across that you don't
have to pay mega bucks to get software, there is all this quality free
software available that not only doesn't cost owt, it is also free to
share (and if so, free to tinker with).  A few of the visitors were low
income families and single parents.  One woman I talked to had a PC but
didn't have broadband.  I got the impression that she'd like to learn
how to do things like Word Processing and general internet and office
tasks, even if it was just something to do but couldn't afford the high
prices of the software (even £100 for Office 2007 isn't that cheap when
you are on a low income and don't have a powerful enough PC to run it).
She took an Ubuntu CD and my phone number and I also took her number and
said that I would ask about running some OpenOffice training courses at
the centre.

Rob