[ubuntu-uk] Help get Windows out of schools

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 12:39:34 GMT 2009

2009/2/10 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>:
> And that's why I think this petition is flawed, because it won't
> succeed whilst it's worded as it is.  This thread has the wrong
> name... it's not a case of getting Windows out of schools, it's a case
> of getting a mixture of computer architectures into schools and
> ensuring that education isn't based on any particular platform.
>
> "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Make the primary
> operating system used in state schools free and open source"
>
> Why??  Why is that not JUST as bad as Windows?
>
> That's why I will not be signing this petition - because it's missing
> the point.   It would be wrong to stop children experiencing Windows
> because, like it or not, at the moment that is most likely to be the
> OS that they will encounter when they start work.    But that should
> not be the ONLY thing they experience.  And, as I've said above, they
> should not be told "to write a document you open Word and click on..."
> but rather "word processors are used to write documents, and come in
> many forms" and then given principles not specifics.

It's saying 'primary operating system' not only operating system.
Also, there's more than one FOSS OS (and even more UIs).

By getting FOSS into schools you are getting rid of the current
monopoly, you are telling the kids that it's okay to learn about the
systems, that it's okay to share interesting programs with friends or
to take a copy home to finish up some homework. You're enabling them
to reuse old PCs. You're showing them that they can be a part of a
global community and that they have the power and opportunity to
collaborate with others to make things better.

That's why I signed the petition anyway. Maybe I missed the point and
it's just about MS-bashing instead.