[ubuntu-uk] computer fairs

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 12:23:34 GMT 2009

On 10/02/2009 12:07, alan c wrote:
> Matt Jones wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Paul Sutton<zleap at zleap.net>  wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>> http://infopointproject.org/wordpress/
>> Looks to be a little dead now,  but was exactly what you described, I
>> think it was started by Jono and some of the other lugradio guys.
>> Matt.
>>

> I use Infopoint as a branding when negotiating with British Computer
> Fairs for my Bracknell events.
>
> Jono made contact with BCF a long time ago and I believe they agreed
> in principle that if a table was not booked by the time the event was
> scheduled, then Infopoint could negotiate specially favourable terms
> for that table. I will resist stating more detail in public. I
> belatedly rekindled th econtact with BCF for Bracknell
>
> Infopoint is a very useful site and brand. I trust it will continue. I
> am a continuing user of the brand name but do not have much time to
> keep my own information there up to date.

Interesting, so do you have a banner or something that says Infopoint?

Am I right in thinking that anyone who may go to the Infopoint without
not knowing what it is would just think it's an information desk rather
than to do with Free Software?
> My (special) arrangement with BCF is basically that I am not
> 'trading'. That is, any money (or donations) that are collected are
> demonstrably covering material cost on a non profit basis. The cost of
> a table to a trader is around 35 pounds. Since BCF do not have any
> motivation towards charity, they are a business after all, there is no
> formal way of consolidating the special arrangement. I think BCF are
> reasonably  happy with the arrangement. I obviously attract paying
> people through the gate. On some occasions there is a small queue of
> people waiting to talk to me (!) I attend very regularly, and inform
> BCF if I cannot get to any particular event.
>
> All leaflets, information sheets etc are free, CDs tend to be one
> pound each, with flexibility. I do give CDs for free although tact is
> needed because it is a retail environment and the customers feel
> uncomfortable if they do not give payment. Funny old world?
> One person only had 50p left in the pocket which was ok, another came
> along and said 'a pound? It is free software!' I said, yes, and if you
> want it free I will give it to you for nothing - here -  although I
> ask for a pound donation is that is? I would have given it free,
> although he happily then gave a pound.

That sounds fair, £1 should in theory cover any costs for decent CD
media, labels, sleves or cases and duplication.  I hardly see you making
much of a profit when charging £1 a disc :-)
> The most poplar leaflet in the last event (Sunday 8th feb '09) was
> entitled 'A tale of two experiences - or why I dont use Windows' a
> slightly edited version, with attribution, of the blog
> http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/a-tale-of-two-experiences-or-why-i-dont-use-windows/
>
> BTW
>    I find that actual CDs of Opendisc or The OPen Education Disc are
> not absolutely necessary - an A4 sheet with contents details and some
> links and explanation gets taken a lot too. I use the Title
> '39 Quality Programs for Windows!' (in very large type)

Hmmm, I guess if they're doing to take a leaflet away, downloading a CD
ISO isn't too much hassle if you have quick enough broadband.

Rob