[ubuntu-uk] computer fairs

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Feb 10 12:07:18 GMT 2009

Matt Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:

[...]
> http://infopointproject.org/wordpress/
> Looks to be a little dead now,  but was exactly what you described, I
> think it was started by Jono and some of the other lugradio guys.
> Matt.

I use Infopoint as a branding when negotiating with British Computer
Fairs for my Bracknell events.

Jono made contact with BCF a long time ago and I believe they agreed
in principle that if a table was not booked by the time the event was
scheduled, then Infopoint could negotiate specially favourable terms
for that table. I will resist stating more detail in public. I
belatedly rekindled th econtact with BCF for Bracknell

Infopoint is a very useful site and brand. I trust it will continue. I
am a continuing user of the brand name but do not have much time to
keep my own information there up to date.

My (special) arrangement with BCF is basically that I am not
'trading'. That is, any money (or donations) that are collected are
demonstrably covering material cost on a non profit basis. The cost of
a table to a trader is around 35 pounds. Since BCF do not have any
motivation towards charity, they are a business after all, there is no
formal way of consolidating the special arrangement. I think BCF are
reasonably  happy with the arrangement. I obviously attract paying
people through the gate. On some occasions there is a small queue of
people waiting to talk to me (!) I attend very regularly, and inform
BCF if I cannot get to any particular event.

All leaflets, information sheets etc are free, CDs tend to be one
pound each, with flexibility. I do give CDs for free although tact is
needed because it is a retail environment and the customers feel
uncomfortable if they do not give payment. Funny old world?
One person only had 50p left in the pocket which was ok, another came
along and said 'a pound? It is free software!' I said, yes, and if you
want it free I will give it to you for nothing - here -  although I
ask for a pound donation is that is? I would have given it free,
although he happily then gave a pound.

The most poplar leaflet in the last event (Sunday 8th feb '09) was
entitled 'A tale of two experiences - or why I dont use Windows' a
slightly edited version, with attribution, of the blog
http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/2008/06/03/a-tale-of-two-experiences-or-why-i-dont-use-windows/

BTW
  I find that actual CDs of Opendisc or The OPen Education Disc are
not absolutely necessary - an A4 sheet with contents details and some
links and explanation gets taken a lot too. I use the Title
'39 Quality Programs for Windows!' (in very large type)

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391