[ubuntu-uk] Help get Windows out of schools

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 11:15:46 GMT 2009

On 10/02/2009 00:18, David King wrote:
> I signed the petition as well.
>
> I am thinking that the schools'/education system's thinking is a bit out
> of date. Why teach the children just one OS when there are many choices
> now in the real world? Not all companies use the same OS. Some use
> Windows XP, some use Windows Vista, and on servers they have Windows
> Server. And sometimes even earlier versions of Windows. Plus some use
> Mac OS X or earlier Mac OS versions. And some use Linux, including in
> many places on servers. So limiting children's education to just one OS
> will leave them greatly disadvantaged when they reach the real world.
> Especially as whatever system they are taught in their early school
> years may well be completely obsolete by the time they become adults.

That's true, when I was at school we had Windows 3.0 and Word 1.0, how
things have changed.  I get lost on Office 2007 even though I can quite
comfortably find my way around Office 2003.  At my kids school they have
Windows XP and Office 2003 so if my kids were introduced to Office 2007
they wouldn't know where ot start.
> If I had children, I would encourage them to experiment with different
> operating systems and tell them that they need to learn a variety in
> order to be better prepared for the future. Just as it is worthwhile for
> children to learn more than one language, although the way languages are
> taught is probably really nowhere near good enough. I learnt French and
> German at school but cannot fluently use either. In computing, I learnt
> the BBC Micro, with its card reader. I wrote programs in BASIC and
> transferred those to filling in boxes for each character on special
> cards which went into the card reader to feed the program into the
> computer. By the time I left school and went to university such systems
> were obsolete and I used a PC with DOS. Now DOS is obsolete, and so on.

My kids PC is running Ubuntu 8.10, as long as they have been using a PC
at home they have been using Ubuntu.  They use Windows XP at school (and
on their mum's PC) and they can get on well with both.  At the moment
they have been tinkering with Google Earth and Tuxpaint.  I have also
recently given them access to Firefox (albeit running through
DansGuardian and with me sat helping them).  Today I started telloing
them about Logo, I'm hoping that I can introduce them to it at an early
age so they get more interested and then hopefully maybe introduce them
to Basic (maybe using Gambas).  I doubt they'd be introduced to Logo at
Primary School, more likely Secondary School if they're lucky.

It seems to me that these days the kids who are only exposed to Windows
and proprietory softare are at a disadvantage.  It's not like the olden
days when you had something like Basic built into your computer so you
could start tinkering, at least with FLOSS (on Linux, Mac or Windows)
you can get the software for free and start playing.

Rob