[ubuntu-uk] iPlayer + Ubuntu + Firefox + Squid = Broken

Guy Thouret lists at thouret.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:41:36 GMT 2009

Hi Chris,

I connect through a proxy to watch iPlayer all the time (I'm currently
living in the US temporarily and have a server in the UK).  I get this
message quite a lot, mainly it's when trying to watch streams with the
'High Quality' setting.  Sometimes I need to refresh the page 2 or 3
times to get the stream to play, but I can always get it to play in
'Normal Quality'.  Another trick I have found is starting off playing in
normal quality, then switching to high quality after a minute or so.

I connect through a squid proxy and the only setting I ever change is
the http proxy setting in firefox.

If you have SSH access to any servers, you could try using your SSH
connection as a SOCKS proxy:

ssh user at host -D<port>  (I normally use port 9000)

Then clear any http proxy settings from firefox and put 127.0.0.1 and
the port number into the 'SOCKS host' box and set the option to SOCKS 5.

This trick is also good if you ever want to encrypt your web traffic
from an unsecured wireless network.

Guy.

PS. I have a current UK TV Licence so I am entitled to watch BBC iPlayer
even if my method of access is unconventional