[ubuntu-uk] OT : Need stuff

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Tue Feb 3 15:48:24 GMT 2009

I recently built a new PC for the 'rents. I used a 20" samsung, which
although attracting very good reviews was somewhat disappointing, with
poor colours and the worst stand ever made. It's hooked up to an ultra
cheap ATI X1550, which is using the non free drivers. It has been
perfectly stable, with no lockups(x64), and has enough grunt to run
the advanced effects at 1680*1050.

20/22 inches is probably around the sweet spot for prices at the
moment, with decent monitors available below £120. 24" ones are
brilliant, but the cost is still quite high- I paid £200 for my 24"
Yuraku, although that was a PVA panel model.

I was under the impression that the new ATI cards were getting free
drivers written with help from ATI, but I am not sure of the
completeness or working state of this.