[ubuntu-uk] OT : Need stuff

Bruce Durling bld at otfrom.com
Tue Feb 3 15:15:27 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Ciaran Mooney
<general.mooney at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also I don't think my current graphics card can handle a larger
> screen, it can only just cope with basic desktop effects! So I'll
> likely be needing a new graphics card too. Now I know this means going
> with ATI or nVidia, both of which have either rubbish open drivers, or
> dodgy evil closed ones. I've used nVidia before, and they seem to be
> less painful. However I again have no idea about which graphics cards
> are good value.

I have an ATI card with my new HP. The closed source driver works fine
on Ubuntu 8.10, but not under mythtv. The open source driver works
fine on both, but is a bit slow. There are some audio/video sync
problems when showing video. If I had to do it all again I'd go with
nVidia. I had hoped the open ATI driver would be a bit more mature in
Ubuntu.

cheers,
Bruce