[ubuntu-uk] MBR

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 12:40:49 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 12:36 +0000, keith wrote:
> The machine I am writing this on has been playing up for a long, long time and each time I switch on I wait in trepidation to see whether or not it will actually boot up.  Usually it does but I have to accept that it is coming to the end of its life.
>
> I have a Windows XP machine, which I've never actually opened up.   I propose to remove the master drive from the Linux machine on which Ubuntu is installed and insert it into the Windows one.  It will then become the slave drive.
>
> What I would like to know is how to create a new MBR on the Windows machine as I shall wish it to boot up into Ubuntu for 95% of the time.
>
> Any advice/assistance will be gratefully accepted.
>
> Keith.

Keith if your using your ubuntu on the machine 95% of the time I would
set the ubuntu hd as the master.

If you take a look at /boot/grub/menu.lst I believe there is an example
for a windows boot option.

You can copy it and modify where appropriate.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk