[ubuntu-uk] MBR

keith keith at grumpyface.me.uk
Tue Feb 3 12:36:00 GMT 2009

The machine I am writing this on has been playing up for a long, long time and each time I switch on I wait in trepidation to see whether or not it will actually boot up.  Usually it does but I have to accept that it is coming to the end of its life.

I have a Windows XP machine, which I've never actually opened up.   I propose to remove the master drive from the Linux machine on which Ubuntu is installed and insert it into the Windows one.  It will then become the slave drive.

What I would like to know is how to create a new MBR on the Windows machine as I shall wish it to boot up into Ubuntu for 95% of the time.

Any advice/assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Keith.

---
Keith Bowerman,
Prestwood, south Staffs, England.
Using Ubuntu 8.10 on a Linux only machine.