[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 56, Issue 36

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:18:16 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 12:00 +0000, Andy Smith <andy at strugglers.net>
wrote:

> I may be in the market for a new general purpose laptop in early 2010.
> I currently use a Thinkpad R61 and I'm reasonably happy with it
> although the Intel wireless is hopeless under the currently-installed
> Jaunty (haven't tried upgrading yet, I work around it with a PC wifi
> card). It's a 15.4" screen with a resolution of 1680x1050 and that's
> really spoilt me.  While I find 15.4" a little hefty when out and
> about, I really like the high resolution. I was looking around the
> Lenovo site and it seems like they don't offer as high resolutions
> anymore on the 14" models.  I might have been willing to go down to
> 1440x1050 or 1440x900 but it doesn't seem available. I was interested
> in what other brands were highly valued but your post has made me more
> likely to stick with Thinkpads, if I could find a good balance of size
> vs. resolution.. Cheers, Andy

Don't, whatever you do, buy anything from Linux Certified in California,
no matter how high the screen resolution. I bought from them last year
and because of the non-standard interface driver they saw fit to
substitute for the one Ubuntu upgrades expect, I had endless
difficulties, as many here will recall. Finally, the machine burned out,
and upon returning it, I was told it was my own fault for somehow
introducing a short into the motherboard, which would be hard
considering I never opened the machine up.

Rowan