[ubuntu-uk] TV connected to ubuntu pc via ethernet

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 19:33:51 GMT 2009

Ronnie Tucker wrote:
>> well i was thinking that if virgin dont offer a wirless router, ill
>> just buy one...connect my pc to that ( I wont then need to install a
>> wifi card in my main pc right?) and then the revo and my pc can talk
>> through the wifi router. i.e internet on the revo+ file tranfers!
>>
> I'm quite interested in getting a Revo too since my original Xbox is, I
> think, going through its death throes.
>
> I have my PC hooked up to my Netgear wireless router, as is my Xbox360.
> If I was to wire a Revo to the wireless router, how would I transfer
> files to it from the PC?

Well if you install Ubuntu on it I'd assume you could transfer files to
it on the same way as you can with a PC, samba, nfs, sshfs, even FTP.

Assuming your PC dishes out IP addresses to each network device, it
should be a case of setting up some sort of sharing on the PC (I'm
assuming you're running Ubuntu on the PC?).  Then connect to the share
from Ubuntu on the Revo.
> Oh, and does the Revo come with a keyboard and mouse? And what about a
> monitor cable, for hooking it up to my TV?

I haven't got one myself so I don't know, but I gather it has a HDMI
port, so even if it doesn't, you're only looking about a fiver for a
HDMI cable, also not sure about a keyboard or mouse but eBuyer.com do a
nice wireless laptop size keyboard with touchpad (made by Keytronic I
think, IIRC it's about £25).
> Thanks for reading, no thanks for possibly costing me £150  :D

LOL, I've been holding off due to lack of funds at the moment (well, I
have the funds, just not the agreement from the wife), if that wasn't a
factor I'd have already got one of these plus a Hisense Media Player and
a Bluray player. :-D

Rob