[ubuntu-uk] WinTV HVR-900 USB Freeview stick

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 16:19:27 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

I've borrowed a WinTV HVR-900 USB stick from a friend of mine to see if
I can get any reception in my area before forking out for one however
I've run in to a couple of problems and wondered if anyone had used one
of these sticks?

The device appears to support both analogue and DVB-T (Freeview) TV
however when I plug the device in it only appears to enable the analogue
side of things (it comes up as /dev/video1 as I have a webcam on my laptop).

I've downloaded and installed the firmware in /lib/firmware as per the
instructions on the LinuxDVB web site
 and it appears to pick it up and I've even tried compiling the v4l-dvb
drivers too which didn't appear to make any difference.

Just to check it wasn't me going mad, I tried the dvb-utils scan utility
and also Kaffene, both of which doesn't work (and I can't find a
/dev/dvb directory either).

If it helps, the output from /var/log/messages is here:
http://pastebin.com/m34f1048f

I just wondered if anyone else had one of these sticks actually working
under Ubuntu 9.10?  (I'm running kernel 2.6.31-16-generic-pae).

Rob