[ubuntu-uk] Monitor Resolution Question

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 23:11:07 GMT 2009

On 06/12/2009 22:20, Nigel Verity wrote:
> Hi
>
> I run a Compaq desktop which dual boots Xubuntu 9.10 and XP. For both
> operating systems the maximum available monitor resolution is 1024 x
> 768. I would like to replace the current monitor with something more
> up to date, using a 16:9 format. Is the current resolution likely to
> represent the best my hardware can support, or will the resolution of
> a new monitor be detected automatically, so I don't get any
> "stretching" or "squashing" of the image.
>
> Grateful for any advice before I go and spend any money.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nige

If it helps, I've had an old Dell P3 desktop running on a 19" widescreen
LCD monitor and that happily supported the native resolution (I believe
it was something like 1440x900).  That was with a very old on-board
Intel chipset and 8 Meg of video memory.  This was also detected at boot
without any problems.

In XP, if you have the monitor set to Plug and Play monitor, it should
detect the changes and allow you to specify a higher resolution,
although in some cases the monitors come with a driver CD for Windows
anyway.

Rob