[ubuntu-uk] Struggling with GRUB 2 error

Jack Cheesman jcheesman at uk2.net
Thu Dec 3 16:35:55 GMT 2009

On 1 Dec 2009 at 23:19, Kris Douglas wrote:

> > Hello everyone, I'm struggling with an installation of Ubuntu Karmic
> > on my netbook.
> >
> > After an update, I switched my machine off and left it till the
> > morning, when I went to boot it up, it sat on "loading grub.." for a
> > while, and then proceeded to display "error: biosdisk read error" and
> > then return me to a grub rescue> CLI.
> >
> > "Ok" I thought, and I went to try some of the recovery commands, which
> > didn't actually work, as in, "not found", other than SET and LS. This
> > is screwing me over quite a bit, because disasembling the machine in
> > order to get the drive out it a pain, and I need it for work on a
> > daily basis, ideally I would like to get my files off there.
Grub2 has caused problems - it searches all partitions before booting-
and therefore there is often quite a delay. - but yours sounds more serious.
I've reverted to the original Grub.

If you can boot your netbook to a command line you might be able to boot
up manually Ubuntu manually:-

Type:-  *find   /etc/fstab*
response should be something like -  (hd0,2)
which will be the partition containing Ubuntu
Type : *kernel   /boot/vm*  then hit the tab key this will then complete
to something like :  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic  or it will give
you some options to select from until you have generic as the last word
when you have /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic add a space and add
*root=/dev/sda3  ro  *so you will now have
kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda3  ro

 *sda *assumes a SATA drive if yours* *is PATA then you should use*
*root=/dev/*h*da3  ro
(note if etc/fstab returns (hd0,2) root is on /dev/sda3)

Once you have that line press return

Now Type *initrd  /boot/ini  *then hit the tab key this will then
complete to something like :
initrd   /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

Press return
Type *boot
*Press return

Hopefully you will be into Ubuntu

-BUT GRUB2 numbers the partitions differently from the original GRUB:
-starting from 1 not 0
 so if you get an error message repeat above BUT use same number for
root as returned by etc/fstab ie :-
kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda*2*  ro  in example

IF that gets you into Ubuntu I suggest you install GRUB 0.97

sudo aptitude install grub  -  or better via synaptic.
Then from terminal run:
sudo update-grub
and
sudo grub-install hd0