[ubuntu-uk] Struggling with GRUB 2 error

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 23:19:43 GMT 2009

Hello everyone, I'm struggling with an installation of Ubuntu Karmic
on my netbook.

After an update, I switched my machine off and left it till the
morning, when I went to boot it up, it sat on "loading grub.." for a
while, and then proceeded to display "error: biosdisk read error" and
then return me to a grub rescue> CLI.

"Ok" I thought, and I went to try some of the recovery commands, which
didn't actually work, as in, "not found", other than SET and LS. This
is screwing me over quite a bit, because disasembling the machine in
order to get the drive out it a pain, and I need it for work on a
daily basis, ideally I would like to get my files off there.

Thanks,
Kris Douglas