[ubuntu-uk] mythtv

Philip Stubbs philip at stuphi.co.uk
Sat Aug 22 22:43:51 BST 2009

2009/8/22 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> Norman Silverstone wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer to the MythTV mailing list I will follow it up.
>> Incidentally, the changes to my local transmitter has meant that
>> digiboxes etc have also had to be re-set.
>>
>> Norman
>>
> No problem, I haven't used MythTV in a while since the PC it was running
> on failed.  I must get it sorted out :-)
>
> I found that after the switchover it was fairly painless to rescan the
> boxes, one of the boxes did put channels in an odd order and my old
> OnDigital box no longer worked.
>
> I also found that my Freeview card which before the switchover wouldn't
> pick up any of the ITV channels, now picks up all the ITV channels but
> not the BBC channels!

Our local transmitter (Rowridge) is not due ti fully switch over until
2012. Until then, it is on only 10% power for the digital signal, and
they have a number of times moved things about meaning channels come
and go.

Last time I played with setting MythTV up, I purged all the packages,
and re-installed all the MythTV stuff. I followed a guide I found
on-line, and configured it to use the transmitted guide instead of the
Radio Times. It worked much better this time. The previous time, I had
to manually hack the MySQL database to get the channels setup. This
time, it 'just worked'.

Hopefully I will not have to touch it again until 2012 when we get the
full 200kw signal, and then I should be able to get rid of the signal
booster. :-)

--
Philip Stubbs