[ubuntu-uk] Automatically moving mail from a specific sender to a certain file?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 19:43:24 BST 2009

Liam Wilson wrote:
> Hey, I'm using Thunderbird as my  default mail application for my
> Emails (As  opposed to Evolution), and as I am subscribed to a number of
> Mailing Lists, I thought it would be a lot simpler to organise the Lists
> into folders, so each list has a folder of its own. Is it possible,
> therefore, to have mail from a list sent automatically to the specific
> folder?
>
> For example, If I created a folder and called it UBUNTU-UK, would it be
> possible to have all mail from this list sent automatically to that
> folder as soon as it downloaded? The same goes for my other lists, such
> as UBUNTU-GAMING and GNU-GENERATION, could I have them separated into
> different files, and if so, how would I go about doing it? It would just
> make organizing my mail a bit easier, that's all.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Liam Wilson

Yep, you need to look for message filters.  You can specify that new
messages that meet a certain criteria (for instance anything that has
[ubuntu-uk] in the subject or is from a specific sender) is moved into
the folder (or deleted etc).

It works fairly well, I use it for a few e-mails that I get through from
specific mailing lists.

Rob