[ubuntu-uk] Judge bans Microsoft Word sales

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Aug 14 11:03:54 BST 2009

All software patents are bad. Although there might be a short term
benefit for software like OpenOffice, if businesses think they cannot
buy MS Word, or they literally cannot buy it, or they have it but are
afraid to use it now, then they might go for OpenOffice.

As OpenOffice is given away free, I doubt that i4i would try to sue for
any use of XML in OpenOffice.

But if this dents MS Office sales and gets more people using OpenOffice
then it might have a positive benefit, although I expect MS will settle
and sales of MS Office will continue.

It is also kind of ironic, given that MS threatened to sue the open
source software community for undisclosed infringements on its patents.
Maybe they need a taste of their own medicine.

The best result would be for everyone to move to patent-free software,
and just make everything open source, which is probably something that
Microsoft is still strongly opposed to, as their business model demands
profits from sales rather than from support.

David King