[ubuntu-uk] First generation iTouch in 9.04?

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:48:03 BST 2009

2009/8/11 James Milligan <lake54 at lake54.com>:
> So you might want to stick to a VM for now, enabling USB passthrough.
> Remember to get the download from the website rather than through
> apt-get, so you might want to do this before you get to the computer (as
> you said that there was no internet, IIRC - it might have been on one of
> the forum threads I was reading though).

Sun include a repository for the VirtualBox version that you can get
from their website. This means that you'll get updates to VirtualBox
when they're available - better than downloading a version from the
website and it getting out-of-date, especially for a non-expert user.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Halfway down the page it talks about the line to add to
/etc/apt/sources.list (I actually create a new file in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox, but that's personal preference
really). As it recommends at the bottom of that page, install dkms
too, otherwise a kernel update will break VB.

As others have mentioned, there are other virtualisation systems
available, but VB seems to be easy and mostly just works!

> I guess if he's having issues once it's all set up, he could email the
> list or me, probably the list though, as I'm not experienced on Linux as
> you guys, just the VM running side of it all.

Always worth giving him the name of the list as a resource, even if he
doesn't have VM problems! :-)

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.