[ubuntu-uk] First generation iTouch in 9.04?

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Wed Aug 12 14:30:43 BST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, David Stansby wrote:
> If you have the 3.0 update then I've found this post

The iPhone 3.0 versions added a compressed version of the iTunesDB for
faster syncing, named iTunesCDB.  It is a direct analogue of the traditional
uncompressed iTunesDB and it's possible to go full circle back-and-forth
between compressed and uncompressed representations, with no loss of data
or functionality.  (Even the AES signing method was not changed).

In fact the iPhone 3.0 update was wonderful, in that it introduced proper
readlink() functionality for symlinks---previously you could see that they
were symlinks in the filesystem, just not were they pointed!

Of course, it requires a few months (six months in Ubuntu) for new code to
filter down to the distributions---but the latest code is already there,
ready and waiting.

> it's not possible to mount an iPod touch filesystem without hacking into
> the iPhone OS firmware

iTunes on Mac OS + and iTunes on MS Windows both work without doing anything
to the device firmware---and the same is true for the Linux implementations
of usbmux, Lockdown, plist and AFC necessary to mount the device on the
desktop via USB.

The wonderful thing about Free software is---that if you're even remotely
unsure about how something functions, you are given the freedom to check the
source code for the canonical answer, rather than risk accidently spreading
inaccuracies.

	-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three.  Somewhere, GB.