[ubuntu-uk] First generation iTouch in 9.04?

James Milligan lake54 at lake54.com
Tue Aug 11 20:11:50 BST 2009

Yeah it's a shame that they didn't make it 'more' compatible with Linux
(I say more, but it technically isn't, but that's for another day ;-P)

Also, nice portraits on your website ;-)

I haven't run it in WINE, but I'm not sure it would work anyway:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16848
<http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16848>

What does not work
sync ipod touch
So you might want to stick to a VM for now, enabling USB passthrough.
Remember to get the download from the website rather than through
apt-get, so you might want to do this before you get to the computer (as
you said that there was no internet, IIRC - it might have been on one of
the forum threads I was reading though).

In terms of the VM, it generally works best if you set up a USB device
filter (I've forgotten what the exact name is - something that relates
to them 'all'), and plug the device in /after/ Windows has started. It
should automatically pick it up then. I've found that if it's already
plugged in, then it doesn't always 'connect' properly (at least with my
printer anyway).

Also, as a quick remedy if it doesn't show, it sometimes isn't
automatically 'passed through' - just click Devices -> USB Devices, then
check the device (should be called Apple iPod xxxx)

I guess if he's having issues once it's all set up, he could email the
list or me, probably the list though, as I'm not experienced on Linux as
you guys, just the VM running side of it all.

Just seen Dave's email come through as well, pretty much what I said at
the beginning.

James