[ubuntu-uk] [OT] Open Source Project kafuffle...

James Milligan lake54 at lake54.com
Fri Aug 7 21:49:29 BST 2009

On 7 Aug 2009, at 21:34, Steve <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 21:12:24 +0100, James Milligan <lake54 at lake54.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Harry Rickards wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> How much do you contribute to the project? If you contribute code,
>>> could
>>> you not classify yourself as a developer of the software, and give
>>> yourself permission to amend the contents, repackage and
>>> distribute it?
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Thanks
>>> Harry Rickards <hrickards at l33tmyst.com>
>>>

>> Hi Harry,
>>
> <Snip>
>>
>> What do you reckon to the legality of that though? I mean it
>> explicitly
>> states 'the developers of the software', which the coders /are/, so
>> certainly if there's a majority, it ought to be right?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> James
>>

> I'd argue anybody that contributed is a developer.  Doesn't matter
> if you
> provide code. Beta testing, documentation etc. are part of the
> development.
>
> --
> Steve

Thanks for your reply (and to the other one as well)

Yea actually on heinsight it isn't open source - I originally thought
it was, but obviously not.

@Harry - so technically I'm a developer? Cool :-) ill talk to the
other developers and work something out. I'll send a message to the PL
as well, giving him a week to reply, then we'll start the project
under a different name.

Thanks for everyone's help, and I'll post a link as soon as the
website has been set up.

James