[ubuntu-uk] Android on iPhone

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:44:43 BST 2009

2009/8/5 Simon Wears <munkyjunky at googlemail.com>:
> I've been looking into Android a bit, and although I couldn't find
> much on this myself, someone might know. Is it possible to run Google
> Android on an iPhone?

No.

Nor is it likely to be - Apple do not disclose the kind of info about
the iPhone hardware needed to port it.

> I'd like to give it a try, but I love the iPhone handset. And, I don't
> have another phone to try it on.

TBH I can't really see why. There are some perfectly good handsets
that run Android already.

And then... why would you?

1stly,The iPhone does not have a trackball or the hardware buttons
that Android uses. Instead it has a multitouch screen that Android
does not yet fully support, AIUI.

2ndly, the iPhone OS is already a very good, very solid Unix-based OS
with the single most polished GUI for a phone that the world has as of
yet. Palm's WebOS might exceed it in time,  but only if it gets the
3rd party apps.

If you /could/ get Android running on an iPhone, it would be crippled
compared to on its native hardware, and give an inferior experience to
the phone with the OS it was designed for.

I mean, yes, all right, /chacun à son goût/ and all that, but I
honestly can't see why you'd want that combination.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508