[ubuntu-uk] Choosing a new phone

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:25:42 BST 2009

2009/8/5 Michael G Fletcher <michael at ilovemylinux.com>:
>> Sorry, I missed the D off. It's Darren :)
>>
>> Yeah I've got a Pioneer car stereo with Bluetooth and hands-free built
>> in. Bluetooth audio works through the stereo and calls just stop the
>> music playing to come through the hands-free and resume afterwards.
>>
>> I haven't tried using BT to transfer files. I'm sure it will work
>> though.
>>
>> Darren
>>

> hehe - sorry Darren :-)
>
> I'm not so sure about the file transfer.  in the same way that you
> can't send a picture or a video or a contact via bluetooth to another
> phone.  Unless I'm missing the obvious!!  [sorry, will get back on
> topic after this]
>
> from [1]
>
> "At launch, Android had fairly rudimentary support for Bluetooth, but
> that has now changed. With the latest update, it can handle more than
> just wireless headsets.
>
> Specifically, it now lets you use stereo headsets. I have a pair from
> Samsung, and they work beautifully now.
>
> The situation is less rosy for other Bluetooth accessories. For
> example, I can pair a wireless keyboard with my G1, but that's as far
> as it goes -- the phone won't take input from the external device."
>
> --Michael
>
> [1] http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=15283

I'm sure I've seen somewhere an Android App is available for a couple
of quid to enable file transfer over Bluetooth

<googles>
This was the one I'd seen:
http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.alex.BluetoothFileshare

Disclaimer:- not used it so don't know how well it works

Steve Garton
http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk